Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This Day: June 9 - Vietnam

Donald Wayne Akins, 21, a CPL in the Marines, had three years in service to his country. He died on June 9, 1969; in South Vietnam due to hostile fire that shot down his helicopter. Donald was born on 10/12/1947 and was a single man from Spiro, OK.

The following is a note posted in his memory from his girlfriend:

Lisa - His girlfriend - "Donny, you will always have a place in my heart. I have never forgotten you after all these years and never will. I can't second guess what would have happened if I had said yes when you proposed or tried harder to talk you out of going back for a second tour of duty. I wish I would have gone with you on leave when you asked me … at least we would have had 30 more days together. When you called me from the airport to meet you I wish I would have run the whole way to you and held you safely in my arms now I just wish you were still here. I say a prayer for you every night....I love you still and for always."

No comments:

Post a Comment