Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Parables and Proverbs

I just finished reading through the book of John. I came across a verse that caught my attention. It reminded me of how much the disciples were regular guys. I could relate very well to this verse.


John 16:18 "...What is this that He says...?" In other words, they were asking, "What is He talking about?" Then, "...We do not know what He is talking about."

Can you picture Andrew and James sitting around after supper and listening to Jesus teach them? Andrew leans over to James and whispers in his ear, "Do you have any idea what He just said?" James gives shrugs his shoulders.

Sometimes, I read in the Bible and have that same feeling. What did I just read? What does that mean? What is He talking about?" Even some of the best, modern translations still seem to word some things where they are hard to understand. It's good to know that we, when we struggle with understanding, are not alone. The disciples felt the same way at times.

When Jesus saw that they were clueless, He took the time to explain so that they could understand. Verse 29, "...now You are speaking plainly..." When we also struggle, He has promised that the Holy Spirit would teach us and help us understand.

Be encouraged, the Bible was meant to be understood by ordinary people like you and me. It is God's Word to us and He intends that we study and learn the Word. That is where we see the nature of God and learn how to follow His leading in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment