Sunday, November 15, 2009

War Journal - Nov. 15, 1944

Co-Pilot Cowart, in front of his pup tent. When I ran across this photo, I emailed it to Gene Cowart and asked him what was on his mind? His response:
"Thanks Mike, sure appreciate it-as to what I was thinking--(I think) might go like this-How do I get out of this fix, or-The recruiting officer never mentioned this, or-I only signed up cause I thought the wings and uniform would help me get girls, and now this. Actually it just shows the flyboy's version of the 1000 yard stare."

15-Nov
Wednesday
Life as usual the past few days. Weather kept us grounded almost continually. Two of the crews mentioned on Nov. 10 as missing were lost over Germany - to the weather. Some were seen to bail out but flak burst followed them to the ground so they were probably dead.

1 comment:

  1. Sad diary entry you quote. Thank you for posting it.

    That is a great message from Gene Cowart. That was an especially gruesome conflict. We owe those veterans a great deal.

    ReplyDelete